Can streamlined special event permitting help your community rebuild connections?
The CityGrows team hosted a webinar in April 2021 to review the benefits of special events and block parties for local communities and to demonstrate the positive impact of digitizing special event permitting.
There's ample research showing the benefits of special events and block parties for communities:
- Block parties build neighborhood ties that are invaluable when disaster strikes (thank you to all the people who helped vulnerable neighbors shop for groceries and navigate the pandemic!)
- Opening up public streets to play and connection can improve the health of communities. Here are some great examples from the East and West coasts (CicLAvia).
Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic has eroded our "weak ties" with neighbors and community members. This lack of connection can have serious impacts on mental health.
With CityGrows local government can bring special event permitting online (as compared to paper or PDF-based processes). Here are just some of the benefits:
- Increase number and diversity of events
- Reduce staff time required to manage special events
- Reduce total time needed to approve events
- Confirm acceptance of COVID safety guidelines
- Open lines of communication with applicants
- Improved ADA accessibility compared to most online PDFs
If you'd like to share this research with your community - please feel free to download our presentation or share our video: